When Write Goes West
Sunday, February 13, 2005

Sunday Morning in L.A.

Posted 8:22am...

Sunday morning in L.A. The sun, the trees, the gospel music on the radio, the smell of fresh brewed coffee, the multitudes walking around in flip flops and sweat shirts. The deliberate pace that belies the city's reputation for being "too fast-paced." That doesn't apply today. Not on this Sunday morning in L.A.

Even with all that's going on this weekend; it's calm and peaceful right now. On Sunday morning. Every other day, things get so crazy and living life is hard to do*. But today, with the right breeze, you can see forever in those mountains. You can see past the smog and the traffic and the pretentiousness that permeates the Southland. You can see past the Governator and the LAPD and the airport. You can see yourself living here on a Sunday morning.

Your fingers can trace every outline of the scenery: the sidewalk cafes, the star sightings, the Jamba Juices on every corner. You can window shop on Melrose and imagine there being an actual Fresh Prince in Bel Air. You can drive past the movie and television studios and wonder which show is being shot, which dream is coming true at that very moment. You can anticipate the very best in music being inches away from you, being rewarded for doing what they do best. You can let your mind wander to all of those things. It's Sunday morning in L.A.

You can paint a picture of success with your hands out here. The sun has that affect on you. The momentary rain, while a burden for East Coast dwellers, is just that...temporary. You can hear the little orphan bellowing out her famous words, knowing that she speaketh the truth, that the sun will come out tomorrow. Maybe even later today. Here you can change the weather and be together when it ends. That's the way it is here...on a Sunday morning.

No worries about work, about sitting in bumper to bumper gridlock traffic, no concerns about hurrying to eat breakfast or to walk the dog or to get the kids dressed. You can go pick up some groceries, take your time. Drive slow on a Sunday morning to Venice Beach and get some inline skating in while the sun is bright. Drive slow to San Diego and take a cruise to Catalina Island. Drive slow to Tiajuana and spend the day not drinking the water. Take a long slow drive up the coast until you get tired and head on back. Steal a day from work and drive slow to Vegas for some good gambling and old fashioned debauchery. The snow is only an hour away.

Those are your options on a Sunday morning.

There's always Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, conveniently located at different posts throughout the city. So many restaurants to prep for later in the day. Santa Monica will give you the scenery you crave as you shop on the promenade. A matinee with family and friends can be enjoyed at The Grove. Get your lashes curled on La Cienega. Pedicure on Pico. Manicure on Melrose. Oil changed on Olympic. Buy veggies in the Valley. See the stars' homes. The Hollywood Walk of Fame. Brunch that lasts til after 4.

Welcome to L.A., baby!

It's a place to come and visit. A place to come and rest your bones. A place to sway like branches in the storm. A place to lay on beaches in the morn. It's the time where I feel at rest, at peace with myself and with the world.

Someday, L.A., because of these Sunday mornings, because of the way they make me feel like I never want to leave...these Sunday mornings may just lead me back to you. Someday it may just lead me back to you...

*Maroon 5, thanks for the inspiration...

scribbled by Will at 8:27 AM
link |

15 Comments:

Blogger Zantiferous3 commented at February 13, 2005 at 4:41 PM~  

Damn... you're making ME wonder about living out there... and I am a NEW YORKER to my heart and you KNOW how most of US feel about the left coast.

Blogger Zantiferous3 commented at February 13, 2005 at 4:46 PM~  

Never mind... I got a little sidetracked by you waxing poetic about LA *still LOLing about you suing Tony Toni Tone* and I snapped out of it just as I hit the Login and Publish button. Mudslides, earthquakes ("the big one" in particular), forest fires... *shaking head* lead me back to chicken parm and cannolis on Mulberry, Shrimp with Broccoli on Canal, my aspirin at Duane Reade and my sandwiches on fresh marble rye... my diamonds on 46th street and my fashion on 7th Avenue. I'm straight fantasizing about living back "up top" (as they say) and I feel almost adulterous even entertaining the thought of *spitting word out* CALIFORNIA... despite what Biggie might have told me. As LL said... "I don't think so." LOL

Blogger Yolie commented at February 13, 2005 at 6:33 PM~  

This is the kind of picture painting that gets you hooked. Look, I just got to Atlanta, don't have me packing up again. LOL

I'm gonna do like X and snap out of it.

Blogger btrfly_locs commented at February 14, 2005 at 6:16 AM~  

Funny you should mention Sunday Morning, that is the song I am listening to.

Anyway...you have a way of painting a picture of a city that has overwhelmed me by it's ostentatiousness. I have never been able to see the quaintness that you have described. I'll be looking for it on my next visit.

Blogger E to the dwige commented at February 14, 2005 at 7:21 PM~  

hmmm my 4 hour trip to L.A on Jan 1 included a big rain storm...so right not I'm not loving it..I have to get back out there sometime next summer so I'll reserve my complete opinion until then. Can't wait to see your pics if you have any.

Blogger c-breezy commented at March 1, 2005 at 1:15 AM~  

Nice post. I'm an LA girl at heart...but I'm not afraid of living in other places. Loved atlanta, but it's too slow there sometimes. Never been to NY though...I'll be there for memorial day.

Blogger Lambchop commented at March 2, 2005 at 9:31 AM~  

Will, that was so beautiful! I'm assuming you must enjoy Maroon 5? I love them!! You are so eloquent and you really do paint a beautiful picture of LA. Now I gotta come back down and visit.
Thanks for visiting our blog!Blessings!

Lambchop~

Blogger piranha commented at June 13, 2005 at 11:50 AM~  

now i can wait even less to see it with my own eyes! i'll be there in september!!!!
oh, will, thank you for your blogs....
p

Blogger dayna commented at July 22, 2005 at 12:29 AM~  

wow...you painted a serious picture of LA. I need to hang with you because this former East Coaster is violently rejecting L.A. It has it's nice qualities, I suppose but being a person who thrives off of human interaction...I'm melting...I'm melting....

Blogger Steve Austin commented at October 2, 2005 at 12:10 AM~  

I like yuor blog. Please check out my dog training collar blog.

Blogger jon commented at October 2, 2005 at 7:30 PM~  

I was searching for dog pile info and found this post. I agree totally!

Paul

Blogger edericks3746 commented at December 23, 2005 at 10:16 AM~  

Make no mistake: Our mission at Tip Top Equities is to sift through the thousands of underperforming companies out there to find the golden needle in the haystack. A stock worthy of your investment. A stock with the potential for big returns. More often than not, the stocks we profile show a significant increase in stock price, sometimes in days, not months or years. We have come across what we feel is one of those rare deals that the public has not heard about yet. Read on to find out more.

Nano Superlattice Technology Inc. (OTCBB Symbol: NSLT) is a nanotechnology company engaged in the coating of tools and components with nano structured PVD coatings for high-tech industries.

Nano utilizes Arc Bond Sputtering and Superlattice technology to apply multi-layers of super-hard elemental coatings on an array of precision products to achieve a variety of physical properties. The application of the coating on industrial products is designed to change their physical properties, improving a product's durability, resistance, chemical and physical characteristics as well as performance. Nano's super-hard alloy coating materials were especially developed for printed circuit board drills in response to special market requirements

The cutting of circuit boards causes severe wear on the cutting edge of drills and routers. With the increased miniaturization of personal electronics devices the dimensions of holes and cut aways are currently less than 0.2 mm. Nano coats tools with an ultra thin coating (only a few nanometers in thickness) of nitrides which can have a hardness of up to half that of diamond. This has proven to increase tool life by almost ten times. Nano plans to continue research and development into these techniques due to the vast application range for this type of nanotechnology

We believe that Nano is a company on the move. With today�s steady move towards miniaturization we feel that Nano is a company with the right product at the right time. It is our opinion that an investment in Nano will produce great returns for our readers.

Online Stock trading, in the New York Stock Exchange, and Toronto Stock Exchange, or any other stock market requires many hours of stock research. Always consult a stock broker for stock prices of penny stocks, and always seek proper free stock advice, as well as read a stock chart. This is not encouragement to buy stock, but merely a possible hot stock pick. Get a live stock market quote, before making a stock investment or participating in the stock market game or buying or selling a stock option.

Blogger lisawilliams9696 commented at December 28, 2005 at 4:21 PM~  

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

Blogger That Girl Tam commented at March 8, 2006 at 2:08 PM~  

I was born and raised in LA...and I REFUSE to leave. Southern California has soooooooo much to offer. There are a million things to do and see all over Los Angeles County. Me? I prefer the beach cities...I live in Signal Hill...a stone's throw from the Long Beach shoreline... You've painted an excellent picture of the city I call home!

Blogger michelalexander1006432659 commented at May 3, 2006 at 8:16 AM~  

While you read this, YOU start to BECOME aware of your surroundings, CERTIAN things that you were not aware of such as the temperature of the room, and sounds may make YOU realize you WANT a real college degree.

Call this number now, (413) 208-3069

Get an unexplained feeling of joy, Make it last longer by getting your COLLEGE DEGREE. Just as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow, these College Degree's come complete with transcripts, and are VERIFIABLE.

You know THAT Corporate America takes advantage of loopholes in the system. ITS now YOUR turn to take advantage of this specific opportunity, Take a second, Get a BETTER FEELING of joy and a better future BY CALLING this number 24 hours a day.
(413) 208-3069

Want to Post a Comment?

back to main page



The Journal


< < blackblogz > >More About Will


About Me

Will.Writer.Live from Harlem.Lefty.Thoughtful.Determined to figure out life.One day.Rambling into reality in the meantime...


Previously on IMWM
Archives

February 2005


Blogs I Read

Random Things About Me
Linga
The Black New Yorker
Sid
Leon/Hustleman
Mia
CocoaButterflyy
Kiesha
Donyell
Diggem
Suezette
Cee
Yolie
Jazz
The Brutha Code
Elle
Ms.Thing
Xquizzyt1
Rhapsodi
Buttercup
Singing Chick
Brown Shuga
The Kajuana Show
The Bachelor Chronicles
Sivad & Erin
UltraMag
Edwige
Humanity Critic
Panama Jackson
Butterfly Locs
Chanel


Enter your email address below to subscribe to In My Write Mind!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Search this site powered by FreeFind
--> Blogroll Me! Site 
Meter



Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search
Designed by mela | Image from stock.xchng
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com